Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
I'd say that the Monk's unique identity comes more from his mobility and versatility. Bonus Action attacking is something everyone can find a way to do it. The fists themselves don't really change much in terms of playstyle, decision or niche.

We've copied mechanics from one class to put on anothe, even more than once. Eldritch Knight, Martial Adept, Bladesinging is basically Barbarian Rage, tons of subclasses explicitly mention a spell when they otherwise wouldn't cast spells.

The idea is to give everyone the means of making the Psion the way they envisioned it. They tried the method of having one class do everything. I'd think it makes sense to have each class have an option of doing their thing...psionically.

If a Psionic Wizard had a feature that said his spellbook was his mind, his Psychic, Thunder and Bludgeoning damage was increased, and he no longer needed nonexpended components, would he be all that different, thematically, from anyone that wanted "Psion that uses mind-powers"?
Their speed boost is not connected to ki at all and versatility is vague. Monks don't wear armor and have the best unarmed attack in the game, whether you think that changes playstyle or whatever else doesn't change that it is what gives the Monk their Unique identity.

I have no idea what aspect of the Eldritch Knight you're referring to, but Bladesinging resemble rage in literally no way other than they both take a bonus action to activate.

Why wouldn't it make sense to have both a class and subclasses for others?

Yes, he would. He would be casting spells and doing everything just like any other Wizard with a small tacked on Psionic feel. it feels cheap and shallow instead of giving new mechanics that enrich the game.