Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
No evidence, just a hunch.

There'd be more to it than just sticking Ki points on the Sorcerer. The Monk uses Ki points, yet that's not you think of when you think of it. You imagine a fast-punching blur of movement and fists...mostly due to good implentation of Ki points.

You could do a Psionic Sorcerer by making Sorcery Points to also be considered as Ki points, which you refresh on a Short Rest. Add some kind of cost to compensate for the faster recharge Sorcery Points by saying that you can't convert them into spell slots, or that casting a spell that targets another creatures costs spell points equal to your level.

Mostly, the Ki point thing is just to make sure Monks are included. Otherwise, it'd be very confusing to consider how Monks would fit into a Psionic setting.

But I think that a suite of subclasses would be better to implement than a single class. Otherwise, what you run into is a problem where the Psionic class only has a single particular trope, and so it fails the 90% of players that it misses. Or, you make something that does everything and it has no personality (like Mystic v2).

Rather than make a single thing with a lot of different expectations, chop it up into 12 different things with different expectations.

You already know what a Barbarian is supposed to feel like, so a "Psionic Barbarian" has a pretty clear image that you can recognize, right? That would (and should) be different than someone else's image of a Psionic that lifts things with their mind (like a Wizard Psionic).

Use Ki points to allow different Psionic classes to work together, while also making Monks basically the original "Mystic" class.
Since Psion is a full class, which will need a full set of powers, magic items, feats, skills, rules changes, etc....I imagine they will also build subclasses for other main classes.

I think you meant v3, and as others have said, they probably threw the whole kitchen sink in there, with no restrictions, so everything could be play tested. In 3.5 (maybe 2e, i forget now) when you picked your psion flavor of your first 3 disciplines 2 had to be of the flavor. I imagine that will happen again.

Ki points absolutely does not make it feel like psi points. Monks perfect the body. Psions perfect the mind. They are polar opposites. Ki points is just a way to regulate how much boost a player can inact in a day...like psi points...like spell slots... etc.

I get it, you don't like the mystic, and you don't have to play or allow it in your game. But don't yuck my yum, ok? :D