1. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Character Concepts you wished would work in D&D?

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
    So the focus should be Int not wisdom, hence why I ruled out ranger.

Ranger uses wisdom rather than int. Does not come across as a scholar at all. Now of course you could still prioritise Int over wisdom, but that isnt the concept being supported - it is bending the system to produce an underwhelming character.
    I don't think too many DMs would complain about a Ranger using Intelligence instead of Wisdom. Heck, most of the Ranger features revolve around knowledge more than observation, as do several of the subclasses (Horizon Walker, Monster Slayer).

If that's something that interests you, and you want to rule out any multiclassing problems that might come up, the Prestige Options link in my signature covers these ideas and concerns surrounding them. Pretty thoroughly, I'd like to think.

Quote Originally Posted by Misterwhisper View Post
    A rogue that is thug like and can use non-finesse weapons.
    It has that, too. Didn't take much.
    Change Sneak Attack to be limited to melee weapons instead of Finesse/Ranged, gives Medium Armor and Martial weapons, change all mentions of the word Dexterity to Constitution (so you're bulky, making you resistant to poison and being tossed around instead of dodging explosions. A Sailor, not a Ninja). Sneak Attack bumped to a 1d8, but still requires Advantage or an adjacent ally. You still pick your subclass as normal.

Although, on the Arcane Archer mention, I feel like that could easily be done with Ranger and a few Druid levels. Land->Coast for 3 levels with a Ranger character goes a long way.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2020-03-27 at 04:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!