1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [GUIDE] Inquisitor Lim's Miniguide to the Evoker

Quote Originally Posted by Deathtongue View Post
    If you're building your character to use that feature, you're screwing your character up. A purple rating is appropriate. I might even rate it red, since it encourages you to make suboptimal decisions.
    I'm not sure what you're saying here. What "suboptimal decision" do you think it's encouraging? Taking Toll the Dead over Fire Bolt or Acid Splash? That's not a suboptimal decision at all, as the math demonstrates.

If anything, it seems like you're doing precisely the thing you're concerned about, except with EE: You appear to be foregoing demonstrably better cantrip options just because they don't work with Empowered Evocation.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathtongue View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Corran
    A section talking about what countermeasures an evoker might expect against their magic missile of doom, and what countermeasures the evoker can take in turn, would also be very appreciated.
    I've been over this before. And I will pretend that the magic missile of doom doesn't exist.

I'm sorry, but I will not humor a tactic, especially one with an unimaginative justification like 'but, Jeremy Crawford said'that has a high probability of getting someone labeled as a rules-lawyer munchkin.
    Apologies if I'm misreading the tone here but it seems needlessly hostile, especially since you seem to be humoring something that's completely against the rules (Hex + Magic Missile) but not something that is supported by the rules.

It's an unfair representation of the case to say that people think it works that way just "because JC said" or because they're "unimaginative." Many people already thought it worked that way because the PHB said, have thought so since the PHB was released, and at some point someone asked JC if they were reading it right, and he confirmed the pre-existing expectation matched his.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    The implication that some DMs allow Hex bonus damage (which is supposed to work only when an attack hits, excluding Magic Missile) but not Hexblade's Curse bonus damage (which is supposed to add to every damage roll, including Magic Missile)... that is interesting.
    Yeah, that seems pretty strange to me.

Someone nerfing the MM combo I can certainly understand. The idea that Hex+MM is somehow more valid just seems bizarre to me.
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2020-03-27 at 11:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones