1. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Elite encounter : Chosen of Gruumsh, how to make a good boss

In an earlier post you mention a random Orc shooting an arrow at the princess sacrifice to start her countdown to death - in order to up the BBEG's villainy / really ensure the boyfriend is incensed, I'd change that up so that the BBEG very deliberately stares down the boyfriend while slitting the princesses throat in order to collect all of her blood for the ritual or whatnot.

WRT Wall of Force - I'd ensure the battle area was large enough that the caster could not make the wall of force more than 30' tall so the BBEG could jump up and grab the top of the wall and climb out easily (if he's 13' tall his reach is 19.5' and his vertical w/ 26 ST is 11' with no roll needed, or athletics check w/ ADV due to rage to clear it outright). In my mind, that's how an Orc champion Barbarian deals with a silly wall of force - no need to manufacture a special magic ability, just HULK it.

I also think it would be very much in character for the Chosen to leave the spell casters to his minions so that he can go toe to toe with the melee guys, but maybe just to taunt the Barb even further he'd jump out of the wall of force to decimate the squishy finger wigglers first while the Barb is trapped by the wall of force (where he may be berserking his fighter buddy), then taunt him some more so the fight builds up to the Chosen vs Barb ...
    Last edited by da newt; 2020-03-30 at 08:22 AM.