Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
Not intended as a mean to plug, but my Prestige Options Homebrew was designed around addressing that exact issue, while also fixing any multiclassing concerns from doing so.

It has notes on justification for each option too, so it's more than just "some guy on the internet said these were cool" if you decide to present it to your DM. Link is in the signature, if it interests you. I've spent a lot more time on it than is probably healthy, and I still update it whenever I get Inspiration for a new option (most recent being con-based Sorcerers).
This isn't bad, but it's still very limited - you can't play a non-spellcasting fighter who focuses on intelligence. Or a finesse fighter who doesn't use a rapier. And it shouldn't be necessary.

As far as shapeshifting goes, it's definitely a better basis for a class than quite a few actual D&D classes. Druids and rangers could both be replaced by a shape-shifting class that also has some versatile nature-themed magic powers. Druids are bloated with features, even with animal companions go, and rangers are... rangers.