View Single Post

Thread: Staying neutral during a siege

1. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Staying neutral during a siege

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    That's a reversal of causality. Any of those backrounds is not the reason these individuals have exeptional skills. Having exeptional talent, education, training or a supernatural connection coupled with ambition or drive is. Leaving ordered society won't give you superpowers or the potential thereof. The vast majority of individuals with such a backround will end their lives in poverty, crime or death. The player characters are part of the minority (maybe even its full extend) of those who do have the skills for an adventurous life. In any case, the PCs are outliers, not the norm.

The vibe I'm getting from your post is that you have a problem with powerful player charcters in general. If so, any reason why?
    I mean kinda, but the point I was making is that superpowered PC's like Sauron smashing singlehandedly through the elven battleline aren't really the default interpretation from the rules until like high level, and can also be justified from a lore perspective.

As for any reason why I don't like superpowered PC's? As mentioned, it doesn't make sense to me how the nation would remain stable, since why would people consent to being treated like dirt, exploited for profit, and shoveling s***/begging for breadcrumbs for a living if they could take a stick and whack some goblins for enough XP to take levels in Fighter and then just keep going from there. If there's little further to fall because you're a medieval serf, there's no harm trying, and it's not actually that hard for a peasant with the NPC statblock and a staff, club, or spear in to take on a goblin. Do it 6 times, now you're a fighter and you can do it with way less risk of dying. Thus, I come to the conclusion that having class levels does not intrinsically make you an awesome superhero who can take on platoons and companies of soldiers.

As a further note, I don't believe in chosen ones or people who are just better, so I have no incentive to change the base way the game works or justify their specialty with fluff to make that assumption true.
    Last edited by LordCdrMilitant; 2020-03-30 at 07:29 PM.
    Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades!