Aintas

Aintas sits tiredly, waiting for the stream of sarcastic comments. He deserves it. Instead, the upbeat and happy-go-lucky Vyv erupts and starts crying.

Aintas takes her into his chest and holds her. It is a bit strange to hold someone who has two swords strapped in her back, but Vyv needs him. Aintas is not a clever man- he knows it for a fact- but he knows his siblings. Of all of them, Vyvian had the more difficult time before she came in. She wants old enough to remember it, too.

Still holding her, Aintas says

"You are not back there, sis. You are with your family. This is all new to all of us. Father always knew what was best and now... he is gone. Everyone tries to cope. Sam and Melian and Caelyn... they just try to do what he said.

You knows they care. They are all hurt, and feel alone and scared. Vyvian "
- Aintas uses his full name, something he almost never does - " we are the oldest. They need us. I screwed up again and again.. I would have left Father's body there, trying to follow his orders. The others set me straight. I need them and they need us, Vyvian. I need you. All we have now, is each other.

Remember all the times we were talking about joining a group or enlisting in a mercenary company, see the world, make great things? It seems we got our wish. All these times that father said that adventures come with blood and sorrow, he was right about that too. I just never thought the blood would be his."

Aintas is also silently crying now. He sniffles once or twice, dries his tear and takes a mouthful of his waterskin. He offers it to Vyvian too.

"Let's get back. Find a spot and camp. We have two days journey ahead of us."