1. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Strange Aeons 2: The Thrushmoor Terror [IC]

As it is nearing nightfall, there are few people moving about. The ones that do spy the group look shocked to see a large, armed band (of asylum patients) moving about the street. Either they turn tail and go the other way, or looking out of buildings of seeming propriety they shutter their doors. There is a definite aura of gloom and fear in town, a pall that seems to have existed before the arrival of the PCs.

The boats had been brought to the mainland between two smaller islands that are very close to the mainland, the strong of fish and dead things - as befits a fishing town close to a shoreline - looming thick in the cloying fog. Winter ignores Brother Jaume's gregarious blasphemy (or what she perceives as blasphemy), and the entire group moves forward past some houses to a town side road. Taking to the east, it meets up in no time with a main thoroughfare, right in front of the Sleepless Building. It is here that Dr. Elbourne, Capt. York, guide Corbin, Krisztina, and the rest of the remains of the Briarstone staff and patients to the east, presumably towards what they called "New Chapel."

The large, two-story building is dark and quiet, and it takes more than one knock upon the door to receive an answer. A woman answers the door, and she is happily surprised to see Winter there. She extends a warm greeting, "Winter? Oh, thanks to the Lady you're well," though her demeanor quickly sours when she notices the PCs.

Winter introduces the woman to the PCs. "This is Meg Thalen, she works for Cesadia Wrentz, and a frightfully efficient servant if ever there was."

That does enough to lower Meg's initial defensiveness, and she invites the group in and directs the party to a comfortable lobby to wait for Cesadia.

After several minutes pass, several minutes which include a tea service and biscuits served to Winter and the PCs, a woman enters the lobby. The founder of the Sleepless Agency, Cesadia Wrentz is a tall, fit woman approaching middle age. She has reddish-brown hair that she keeps trimmed short. Her eyes are big and inquisitive, and her pale skin is scattered with freckles across her cheeks and the bridge of her nose.

She seems to know Winter, and Winter in turn introduces each of the PCs as she calls them out. "This is Jens Ronnie Turnbull, or Jens; when I was overseeing the survivors' encampment - I will get to that - Jens was probably the coolest head amongst these heroes. Next, we have Gherardo Flavio Pervasi, whom we call Flair; a brilliant scholar whose understanding of forbidden witchcrafts have proved invaluable in understanding the cultists that took over. Next we have Brother Jaume, who I have been pleased to see go from barely understanding Erastil's gifts, to being a cleric who exceeds my own skill at magic .... oh, and keep your wine bottles hidden from this one. We have Saint Dorn the Protector, who had the dubious honor of being the oldest man in the survivor's encampment; but he has lived up to his name, for Torag has blessed him with wisdom and powers to protect and guide those under his care. Finally, there is Maeni Llioredn .... forgive me, Maeni, but we never were able to determine what you are, as you are clearly not human. Maeni has a keen sense of arcane traditions and strange powers that have been of great service and no less than the others in saving the lives of all at the Briarstone Asylum."

She then looks to the PCs, "This is Miss Cesadia Wrentz, leader and founder of the world-famous Sleepless Detective Agency."

She removes her topcoat, as she had just come in after the PCs, revealing an extremely proper full-length dress underneath. She serves herself some tea, and makes sure everyone has had a chance to have some. Looking to the PCs once everyone is attended to. "Winter, if you will withhold answering, please. Lady and gentlemen, please tell me .... what happened on Briarstone Isle, especially regarding supernatural events and their effects on those there."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2020-04-02 at 05:37 PM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.