1. - Top - End - #527
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread VIII: Way Too Much For Vampirism

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyNotEvil View Post
    Especially at low levels, you are going to be outright no-selling attacks from raging, power-attacking barbarians, and this much retains usefulness well into the late game, as long as you keep your AC competitive so they can't PA through it without cost.

Nearly anyone who can take it will enjoy its benefits and don't really notice the downsides.
    I think you're overestimating the power of DR 15 versus a barbarian, and underestimating the downside of -6 Intelligence and Constitution --.

(1) The damage for a raging, Power Attacking barbarian is around 2d6+13 to 2d6+15 at level 3 (the lowest ECL you think the huecava should be at). So right from the start, barbarians will damage you on most or all hits. At level 6, the damage for a raging, Power Attacking barbarian is around 2d6+21 to 2d6+22. Obviously, your DR is still helping a lot at this point, but it's likewise pretty obvious that it's going to get outclassed by barbarian damage pretty soon, and we're not even into the teens yet. And with a morale pool that's probably a third behind a typical cleric*, and no additional defenses against magical attacks, that DR is just enough to get by (when it comes to barbarians, that is. Gnome sword-and-board fighters, you can kill all day--but then so can a crusader).

(2) Nearly anyone who can take it will have only one skill point per level after taking it, meaning that they won't be able to max out both Concentration and Knowledge (religion). I'd say that's a pretty bad drawback for a divine caster, wouldn't you?

Also, what "big Wis boost" are you talking about? It's a +2, I didn't think that was anything special? The sum total of ability boosts is zero.

*The sweet spot for huecava hit points (in terms of "not being far behind the cleric") is right at that level where the cleric can't quite afford an amulet of health.

At level 2, the huecava has 1d12 (12 hp) against the cleric's 2d8+6 (18 hp). That's with 14 Constitution for the cleric, and LA +1 on the huecava.
    At level 6, the huecava has 5d12 (38 hp) against the cleric's 6d8+12 (42 hp). This or hereabouts is the sweet spot.
    At level 10, the huecava has 9d12 (64 hp) against the cleric's 10d8+30 (78 hp). The cleric has bought an amulet of health +2.
    At level 14, the huecava has 13d12 (90 hp) against the cleric's 14d8+56 (122 hp). The cleric is wearing an amulet of health +4.
    At level 18, the huecava has 17d12 (116 hp) against the cleric's 18d8+90 (174 hp). The cleric is using an amulet of health +6.

Obviously, compared to a paladin, or a cleric with a higher starting Constitution, the huecava is even worse off. Likewise, a huecava rated at LA +2 will be even further behind, and will also lose a full spell level (if a spellcaster) or significant feats/base attack/saves etcetera. There's pretty much no way to come out ahead on anything but DR with this template, and that DR can be obtained more easily with quasilycanthrope.
    Last edited by ExLibrisMortis; 2020-04-04 at 12:22 AM.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.