Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
I think it depends upon your mindset: how competitive you are, how much psychological separation you have between your desires as a player and the PC's desires, and how sensitive you are to the psychological pain of hurting other players' feelings. I can certainly imagine players for whom the excuse to PvP is a fun challenge.

I've had players have fun doing a similar thing: roleplaying the monsters for me when a PC is offscreen or downed.

I think there are certain styles of D&D game for which it would be un-fun and am interested to hear more about the style of game you apparently prefer, and how it differs from the style your DM apparently runs.
Good points. I think I'm competitive in the sense that I enjoy the tactical challenge of combat. But I'm okay with my PCs dying if they put on a good show first. Not really a fan of PVP. I guess what really stings is that we've spent four sessions investigating and RPing and it's hard-limited to six sessions. So this is likely the only significant combat we'll see, and I built this character to be a defender. Both RP-wise and mechanically I was looking forward to playing that out.