I hate effects that impact my characters behavior outside of my control, but I also understand that I'm not necessarily supposed to enjoy them and in just about every case I had a chance to overcome them before it came to the point I disliked.

As much as I personally dislike them, I think my enjoyment would be hurt more if such things were taken out of D&D. If these effects still exist, but simply can't target players, that brings in to question on lot of issues with realism. If we take the effects out altogether then some memorable and unique monsters would disappear, story avenues of espionage and betrayal would lose some of the "magic" involved in making them tense and unique.

This is a pretty polarizing topic though, I've seen threads in the past that have gone rapidly downhill in such discussions and sessions in my own table have ended up volatile because of compulsions effects making a player feel like things were "unfair".

Communication between those involved is the most important thing and if you suspect that it may be a problem even pre-empting the situation with a bit of discussion about what players expect from such things seems warranted. I've often considered adding my expectations for Charm/Domination effects into any future session 0 handouts I make because I had such an awful experience running vampires (a player and I felt very differently on how effective a Vampires Charm should be) that it's had me wary of these things since.