View Single Post

Thread: Mind Control is No Fun

1. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Mind Control is No Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    Suppose I play a character with 12 Wisdom of a class not proficient in Wisdom saves. Why do I deserve to suffer Hold Person? Why must I always take Resilient Wisdom feat or forever be blamed for whatever fear or charm effect my character suffers? What if I have an 8? Maybe it's 8 IN and I'm forever trapped in a Phantasmal Force. Maybe it's 8 ST and I'm forever trapped in Entangle or Web.

No player "deserves" to suffer because he happens to have a low score somewhere. It can happen. It's part of the game. You deal with it. You never "deserve" it.
    Nobody "deserves" to suffer. We're playing a game. Figure of speech. I believe this kind of purposeful exaggeration is rather common and obvious.

To answer the Str or Int save comparisons though, fact is, Wisdom saves of all kinds, spells and effects alike, exist, are common, their effects aren't necessarily mind control but can have various levels of debilitation, and are more often than not thrown by DMs at beefy frontliners.

The game presents a challenge. You're not expected to rise up to every challenge. But if you're facing a common challenge that might have severe repercussions, then not preparing it for it isn't the challenge's fault. You don't "deserve" to get hacked up in two turns, but fact of the matter is, if you're in the front lines regularly and pack 14 AC, it's gonna happen. Wisdom saves might not be as common as physical attacks, but they aren't rare, and are also way more dangerous.

A character who dumped Str and didn't pick Resilient: Strength will find themselves in a bind once in a while. A character who dumped Int can be absolutely screwed a couple times throughout a game.

But a character who dumps AC and takes frontline duty will get dropped. Repeatedly. A character who completely forgoes Wisdom will end up in sticky situations. Often. Solely because that's how the game is built.
    Last edited by Chaos Jackal; 2020-04-07 at 06:21 PM.