This is not a starting city. it is a pinnacle of light that the players will hear in reference for much of the campaign.
here is the quick write-up I have so far. ~~ what I am looking for are examples of great good and evil that exist here seemingly in balance (but not really). What such places would the players see and visit?

Redstone. This is a kingdom that covers some 11 islands. It is so named because its main export is a red tinted marble much favored by noble courts the world over. Six of the islands have such quarries.

The capital city, Enlightenment, has an acropolis dedicated to ALL the deities. It boasts colleges, libraries and sages for hire on every crucial topic available. On a mountaintop just outside the city is an oracle dedicated to Bane* offering predictions of the future.
It is said that all the world sails to Enlightenment. That is true. Negotiations take place here that determine peace or war.

Enlightenment is the wealthiest city in the world. All the races may find a home on these isles. Empires and kings keep embassies here. Enlightenment’s markets sell everything.

Redstone is also known for one other thing, however: Slavery. There is no poor class here, they are all slaves. Quarries and mines all operate under terrible conditions, dead slaves are just a cost of doing business. Gladiators die to entertain the masses. Spies, intrigues, and assassinations are commonplace.

Great good and great evil are both found here. Come here to buy. Come here to learn. Just do not come here if you are penniless.

* Bane is the same evil deity found in the Forgotten Realms. In this world, he has an additional portfolio, "The divine right to rule." As a consequence, his temples are found in almost every city ruled by kings or nobility.

all this said. It is easy to come up with evil examples, though I could probably could use more. What examples of great good or great evil can be found in a city where self righteous tolerance overrides common sense?