1. - Top - End - #78
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: Is there a 'who should play this character?' thread, and is it necro?

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    Why are people only considering African actors for Roy? How about some southern Indian / Tamil actors like Bala William? How about some Malay or Polynesian actors like Jason Momoa or Daniel Logan?
    Because Roy is dark-skinned enough that it's difficult to parse him as anything but? (Not impossible, but I feel like a lot of, say, Indian people who become internationally recognizable tend to be paler, because of the interplay between culture, socioeconomic stuff, and geography.) And aren't there bits of book commentary that specify Roy as black?

And I think lumping all the non-white ethnicities as interchangeable could lead to some... uncomfortable implications. And more to the point, implications I imagine Rich himself would find very awkward at best.

By way of analogy, Ricardo Montalban, a Latino man, playing Kahn Noonien Singh, an Indian man, is just... weird. (Yes, product of its time and all, but still weird.)
    Last edited by Grey Watcher; 2020-04-16 at 04:14 PM.