Quote Originally Posted by The Patterner View Post
Daniel Radcliffe as Belkar.
This is interesting, and I really admire Radcliffe, but I've never seen him play a borderline psychotic character. In that vein I think I prefer Elijah Wood who not only has already been pre-shrunk to Hobbit size (thus saving the production company a bunch of money), but has already done a delicious turn as a guy who wants to cut everybody up in "Sin City". Thanks for the inspiration, as up until now I haven't been able to visualize anyone as Beltar.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
In addition to all this, visuals help convey implications. When an artist wants to convey a strong character, making them muscular is an easy way to visually grasp that this character will probably be stronger than most. Even in worlds where that can be enhanced by magic, or worlds where a lanky character has super-strength, a muscular character still conveys that they are supposed to be very strong.
To support your point I submit: Superman and (the original Fawcett) Captain Marvel. I've always thought that there was no reason on Earth for these two characters to be depicted as over-muscled, since they rarely have to strain themselves and therefore their muscles would never have the opportunity to become damaged and repair themselves, which is what creates muscle bulk.