View Single Post

Thread: Lighthearted Fantasy Movies/TV?

1. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Lighthearted Fantasy Movies/TV?

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    As it happens, I tried watching Kung Fu Hustle a couple weeks ago, partly from the recommendations in this thread and partly because I'd come across it before and was interested.

Unfortunately it's not for me. I could only force myself to watch about half an hour, but in that time it couldn't seem to decide whether it was a brutal crime story, a strange crime musical, a satire of a Chinese slum community, or a live-action Looney Tunes episode. I just didn't find it funny, and couldn't find a character whose story I cared about.

This makes me wonder about Journey to the West, a rather oddball movie I've also come across and thought about watching. After the disappointment of Kung Fu Hustle, I'm wary of items in a similar vein.
    Yeah I'm pretty sure if you didn't like 'Kung Fu Hustle' then 'Journey to the West' isn't going to be for you (also be aware there are two Journey to the west movies 'Conquering the Demons' and 'the sequel 'The Demons Strike Back')
    You are aware they're both by the same director ? Stephen Chow
    Speaking of which, and light hearted fantasy movies, you might try 'Shaolin Soccer' of his. Which is in the same comedy-mystical Kung Fu vein as 'Kung Fu Hustle' but more straight forwardly just a comedy with cartoon villains and football-fu feats
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2020-04-26 at 08:51 AM.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem