Personally I think Minato intending it be for quickness and precision its less indicative of its actual use, and more indicative of Minato's bizarre thought processes:
"I want to quickly kill an opponent without wasting time on hand seals, lets spend years and years on mastering making an S-class spinning glowing ball drill in my hand with multiple steps to form it that I then proceed to never figure out how to apply a nature transformation release to it because lightning doesn't go in circles" except when Boruto does it apparently, instead of say Minato grabbing a kunai and just enhancing it with lightning chakra to be super-sharp then slit their throat like a normal efficient killer, or maybe just develop a jutsu to touch a guy and deliver a bunch of volts of electric shock, even though he can just teleport to a dude and do exactly that and be stealthier and quick in both cases. like you don't need to sharpen lightning like with Chidori, just make your hand a death-taser and people will die when you poke them.

then his son proceeds to demonstrate how Minato was using his super-genius to try and reinvent the precision killer wheel, by showing that his father invented a new chakra explosive instead. because it doesn't matter what the original inventor intended with the design, the innovator clearly shows whats really possible with it when they get their hands on it and actually use it without the galaxy brain thought process overlooking the obvious.