1. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: DM seeking help balancing 3 evolving weapons for Storm King's Thunder

It's been a lot of fun. I've modified the weapons over time to better balance and fit the characters. I'll track down the cards and post them here.

Magebane in particular is my favorite right now. It's absolutely murderous. It tried to get the monk to murder every party member in their sleep. It openly encourages that she stab them even when they're standing right there. The monk ended up trading it away to the party wizard, which was an absolute delight for me. It encourages suicide on a near daily basis. I'm still waiting for it to start a bar fight by insulting the warriors one table over and then letting the wizard take the blame for it; it's just been a really long time since they've sat down in a tavern.

I ended up taking a completely different tack with Elminster's Kindness.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It actually ended up being a trapped Dawn Titan primordial like Maegera that is trapped in like an iron flask in the head of the hammer. Its prison is being weakened every time the barbarian kills someone once it hit tier 5, so it's only a matter of time before the party unwittingly unleashes a CR>20 ancient creature of destruction and chaos onto Faerun. It was all a trick by the cult of elemental evil through some divination to find a beater likely to break the prison, and a Nystul's Magic Aura made the party none the wiser.
    Last edited by Barbarian MD; 2020-05-04 at 08:01 PM.