1. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Psionics Reloaded-the Psion and Psychic Warrior; ALL DISCIPLINES NOW COMPLETE (PE

Quote Originally Posted by Theoboldi View Post
    Yeah, it's not too bad for now, especially since warlock is one of the more popular classes from what I've seen. Just something to keep in mind.
    Definitely. 5e has a much lower tolerance for that sort of thing than 3.5 where I cut my homebrewer's teeth.

Oh right, completely forgot that the psion is short rest based. Makes sense, really, what with it being balanced like the warlock.
    Actually, though, now that I look at it... I'm wondering it it wouldn't be better to go back to a long rest across the board. The original idea was to cut down their ability to go nova, but with psi limit as it currently is that may not be necessary, and I've found heavily short rest dependent classes to be much more twitchy balance-wise. Cut the spell points down 20-33% or something to compensate for the more powerful at-will abilities... I dunno, thoughts?

Hrm. I dunno if it's quite worth an automatic die reduction, though, since this is the kind of ability that will be used mainly for flavor. And rolling the die for the sake of it being rolled leaves open the possibility of just using this Talent again and again until you get lucky and get a die of a size you like.

That said, you already have a use for the Psi Die in this, in the cases where you require an ability check. Why not stick with just that?
    That's probably better, yeah.

Hrm, I do see the issue there. How about adding a lesser version of Psionic Resilience? Maybe some level of temporary hit points that recharge after each short rest through your meditating?
    Now that I think about it, with Talents coming in at first level I don't think they need very much. I should be able to drop the skill part and leave it as a pure ribbon.

The thing is, I am actually really not sure if it needs to be nerfed. Your first suggestion is probably best in case you have to nerf it, but I'd get feedback on it from others first. Being really good at saves seems to be this Psychic Warrior's thing, and I don't want to throw that out the window necessarily.
    That's true...I'll keep it for now.

That does look better now. Honestly, with it being noticeable, I think you can keep the psi die rolling. Even if the "drop one die size" thing gives extra control over a mechanic that I do criticize for lacking player control, I also am of the opinion that if you have a unifying mechanic, it should actually work the same across the board. For the powers, at least.
    Fair.

That said.....

Yeah, I cannot justify anything but an auto-die-drop for Feed the Mind in exchange for making it last the whole day. It's really the only one where I think it needs to be that way.

Sorry to be a bit wishy-washy on this, it's a bit of a conflict of interests for me.
    Hmm. Easiest solution is probably just to jettison it. No great loss.

My worry was that a player might have very reasonably asked why he can't try and delve through somebody else's mind to gather more information so he can try the check again. Maybe it's just a wording thing?

Like, from what I gather the intent is that you can make a check to remember things as though you had the memories of [p] people within reach, but only if they fail their Intelligence save? It does read like it's a very focused, lesser version of Detect Thoughts, though.

For example, let's say a player has captured an enemy commander who was present for an important tactical discussion, which the players were not there for. Can he make an intelligence check to try and remember that event, in the hopes that the enemy commander will fail his save and give access to his memories? What DC should that intelligence check even have? What if he has another enemy commander in the other room to try it on next? How do you see this Talent being used in practice?
    Hmm... yeah, you have a good point. I don't see why you couldn't go find someone else to see if they remember an event. I'll add a clause saying that if you make your save you're immune for 24 hours; that'll cut down on abuse.

Kinda curious to see that initial idea now, though.
    According to my notes here... "something with exploding dice?"

I'm also thinking about alternatives to High Psionics for Wu Jen-- there aren't that many great options from existing spells, and I'd like to be able to differentiate them from Psions a little more. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2020-05-04 at 05:20 PM.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use