Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard
The Rise of Skywalker was nowhere near great….
Rise of Skywalker just dropped on Disney+, so I’ve been able to watch it without feeling guilty about paying anything.

I’ve watched up to the point where Rey and Ren had their tug-of-war over the troop transport, and now Rey is staring despondently at her hand. I had to quit there.

I saw the movie twice in the theater, and the best I could say was that it was a pile of ridiculous. But after watching the first half-hour on Disney+, I have to revise that from “ridiculous” to “idiotic.”

Many individual scenes are quite good; I love the opening argument between Rey and Poe. But the scenes are strung together into a long, twisty dribble of pitiful. It’s two or three movies crammed into a lunchbox with plot elements hanging out everywhere.

And without going into detail, all the gratuitous pokes and jabs at the previous movie were both jarring and petty. The director’s personality came through all too clearly in those moments, and not to his credit.

Originally Posted by Rakaydos
The Last Jedi's director HAD ideas- poorly implemented, unsupported by the rest of the trilogy- but that alone is enough to set it above the other two for a good number of people.
This indeed.