Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
During the recent twitter kerfuffle about orcs*, one comment which I kept seeing over and over again was that one-dimensional villains and monolithic cultures are actually better for the narrative as they are less realistic and therefore more fantastic, but I am trying to wrack my brains trying to think of an example where this actually holds true.

Even mindless stuff like zombies, Terminators, or the Borg have some really good explorations of their humanity and individuality in the sequels.

People also claim that is makes characters look less heroic if they are conflicted about why they are fighting, but I actually don't think that is true; for me seeing Faramir ponder on whether his foes are really evil makes him look noble, while, say, Wikus in District Nine laughing about burning Prawn children because he doesn't consider them people just looks like a monster.

So, can anyone give me some examples of narratives which are (or would have been) improved by one dimensional villains?

*Which this thread is not about as it would almost certainly stray into territory which is against the forum rules.
Goku is a good one dimentional character, because his one dimention is chosen so that other characters react and grow in his presence, even if he does not.