View Single Post

Thread: Staying neutral during a siege

1. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Staying neutral during a siege

I honestly hadn't even noticed that breakdown. It has... some issues. I'll accept that they're saying "in one encounter" rather than "over a few days", but even discounting the "cast Fly" option, there are a lot of ways a Level 8 party could shatter and scatter the archers, provided they don't try the tactic of "line up in an open field and stride confidently towards the enemy."

For a start, the adventuring party doesn't seem to be doing any buffing before the entire army arrives. They have no magic items and no mundane preparations. There's no cover and no planning. No one has any passive abilities from their class or race.

I can, without much work, design a dozen scenarios in which the adventurers could win that fight. Heck, I could possibly get a build together for a single swordsman to pull it off, with the right cover and tactics, and assuming that the archers aren't robots and will start panicking if a guy starts carving them up.

*EDIT* I just noticed that the suggested tactic to escape is to dimension door into long range and hope for the best, which means that this is a fight that posits four adventurers are just standing around cleaning their nails when they look up and realize that a hundred archers are now a hundred feet away from them, nocking their bows.

*EDIT 2* Okay, I don't think I can actually build a Level 8 fighter who can solo a hundred archers. I forgot that cover gives an AC boost rather than providing disadvantage, the way most things do; because of that, once the fighter is in the middle of the archers they can still keep firing into the melee and rely on crits to drop her, provided that they're okay shooting a bunch of their own people along the way.
    Last edited by Friv; 2020-05-21 at 11:54 AM.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.