Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
1) Weren't you just saying the DM is controlling the character's actions instead of the player? So which is it?
It's my main point: the not so bright player does not like being told by the DM what to do under the guise of the DM telling the player what their smart character would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
2) "I want to roleplay a superintelligent character" and "I want to trigger a trap for no reason after finding out it's a trap" isn't a system problem, it's just a troll at your table.
Note it is also a typical action of a not so bright person.

When you just look at people in general, look how many people make poor, bad or stupid decisions or actions. Right now, somewhere someone, is sending their bank information online as they are so happy they won the Whatever Lotto. Right now, somewhere someone, is signing up for a car warranty over the phone. Right now someone is getting the call that their social security number has been canceled and to get it back they must go to Dollar General and get a $500 visa gift card and send it to the caller on the phone.

You can spend hours...days even..watching You Tube videos full of such things. The guys ladder can't reach the top of his house, so no problem he gets the ping pong table out of the shed, puts the latter on top of that and climbs up, what could possibly go wrong, right?

And in most such cases, even if someone was there to tell them not to do it....they mostly likely still would.

You can give a player all the information in the game world, but that will never make the player smarter or more intelligent.