Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
Spoiler: Martial Archetype: The Constellar
Show

Astronomers tools don't actually exist in 5e, so you may want to define them with their weight and cost and such.

Constellar Technique - That's pretty harsh that it uses you action surge, considering just how good action surge it. However, as long as the power of these is decent then it will probably be fine.

It seemed like level 3 was pretty front loaded at first, but while looking at it more it's seem fine.

Armor Etching - Technically this allows the PC to etch it on armor or a shield then give it to someone else (you can also do this for a . Is this on purpose? Also, you should mention in here that you still only get one use of the etching. As I was reading it, I was thinking you could do 1 weapon and 1 armor. However, in read further the 15th levle ability lets you do that.

Convergence Signs - This skill is pretty meh in my mind personally. I can get opposing signs by doing an ally of an ally already if I want ti badly enough. Something else would be nice here.

Improved Constellar Techniques - This ability is kind of not exciting for a capstone. You get one more use of a power that you have already been using for a long time with action surges. Also, 1 more use per long rest is even less exciting when you are getting your 2 uses of action surge back with a short rest. I would re-consider this ability, or at least give it back at the end of a short rest instead of a long one.

-For Weapon on the judge, do you round up or down for force damage?
-Armor on the emperor, does that stack with Defensive fighting style?-
-Weapon on the Siblings, may want to make this not stack with advantage. It's a huge boon with SS or GWM (especially archery style, advantage, a magic weapon, and SS). I would abuse the heck out of this.
-Constellar Technique on the Siblings is really, really abusable by a Rogue/Fighter multiclass. So, so many sneak attacks with an archer.
-Constellar Technique on the Gambler is not worth it. A single attack at advantage at the cost of an action surge? I don't think I would ever bother.

Overall I like the subclass, there are a lot of good things going on here. For the most part I have questions, but a few other comments.
Spoiler: Feedback response
Show

I could have sworn they existed. I'll add a weight and cost here.

Armor Etching is supposed to allow Weapon + Armor as soon as it's gained. Dual Etching at 15 is supposed to allow Weapon + Armor + (Weapon or Armor). I'll try to fix the wording.

I'll add something bigger in addition to Convergence Signs but I will note that you only learn 4 signs naturally (2 to start, +1 at 7 and again at 15), and there are 8 total signs, so you can't get any sign and its opposite through other means besides Convergence Signs. (If you started with The Hunter/The Soldier, you'd only be able to reach The Judge using the normal signs learned). That said this is still a pretty weak feature for level 10 and I'll come up with something in the next two days to hopefully make it stronger.

Improved Constellar Techniques At this point I wasn't sure what else to give the class. I considered introducing a stronger version of each technique, but there's already a lot going on with each sign. I could bump this up to short rest recovery though.

Armor for the Emperor does stack with Defensive fighting style, but not with magic equipment. I'm not sure what you mean for Weapon on the Siblings and advantage (do you mean The Gambler?). I may change this to granting allies the bonus instead though (similar to Wolf Totem Barbarian, but +1 instead of advantage).

Technique: Siblings Yeah I wrote this all in one big chunk and didn't really do a balance pass to consider multiclass yet. I wasn't satisfied with the longer duration on this effect anyway, I'd rather limit the techniques to short-duration effects.
Technique: Gambler I wanted to be cautious, since the main use for this is forcing an enemy to attack another enemy, and a lot of enemies have much bigger damage dice than player characters. When you get it at level 3, it matches Action Surge (1 extra attack) and is actually slightly better because of Advantage, though against large groups of weak enemies you'd probably still use the baseline AS. At level 5, it's not quite as good as AS by itself but the Advantage and potential for larger damage makes it situationally better. At level 11 (Extra Attack 2), you can get two such attacks, potentially having both with advantage, keeping it situational (though for level 10 it's once again strictly better). Level 20 is the only level where I'd say that AS is strictly better, and even there if you're fighting at least two monsters and at least one of them has an attack that does more average damage than two of yours, this is better. I'll remove the restriction on focusing on one target to make this a little more palatable.

Thanks for feedback even though I posted with like...three days to go!