Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
So, I'm all about the "in-character chat", but… why do you feel "40 sessions from level 1-10" makes for a "better" character for that chat than "40 sessions from level 15-25"?
Short answer: I don't.

Long answer: The earliest levels will be when the PC is the most green. More likely than not, it's also the steepest part of the learning curve on how their 'world' operates. This often means this would be the most rapid change in the PC's thoughts, goals and so on. Even more so, if you're playing a game where the PCs themselves are ageing.

I'm not saying the progress should be equal. As I said above, I'm pretty cool with say the first 5 levels of a D&D-type game being run through fairly quickly. My feeling is that the complaint isn't about low-level gaming, but poor low-level gaming.

Lastly, starting out as a L15 character implies you know the GM and game system fairly well and have already done a decent amount of Blue Booking - kit/spells/backstory/etc beforehand. A L1 character can be made using the 'Quickstart' from the core book, a skim-read of previous and a Blue Book which is nothing more than a list of six items of kit and a 300-word backstory.