Originally Posted by LurkytheDwarf
I've started to construct one religion (a Lawful Neutral deity with a portfolio of leadership, destiny, and secrets) that would be breaking the previous mold, exporting their faith throughout the city-states and in some cases rising to total authority.
I like it. This is a great concept to include, and lets the players feel like they’re part of history in the making, no matter what side they’re on.

I do think I like sticking with LG paladins.

…I could see both crusading paladins and scheming priests working for various holy orders within the church.
You did mention you really liked the knight-in-shining-armor aspect of the paladin. I really liked the alignment-based variants as temple agents, but maybe that's part of the old paradigm that the Awakened Church is fighting to replace?

…and then move on to what player races should be available in another thread….
Looking forward to seeing that thread, because I’d been wondering what races you would consider suitable here.

Just to get a head start on this discussion, I hope you’ll include halflings. They would fit very well as temple servants for the city-states, and I could see halfling tribes able to survive in marginal habitats more easily than most other races. They’re quiet, shy, and in a pinch they can survive on less food, which means areas that couldn’t support humans would still provide a living for halflings.

…I’ll admit as far as low-level enemies are concerned I'm sort of tired of orcs and goblins and kobolds.
Right there with you.

*Inspirational Artwork*
Some excellent and evocative pieces in there. A couple of them are a little more medieval than I’d been assuming, but then I’m approaching this from a Mesopotamian perspective.