Spoiler: Grass’ Perception
Show

You see a somewhat lively inn, and the assorted clientele. Your companions are occasionally getting side eye, as Dragonborn and tieflings aren’t the most common in these parts, but it’s not an aggressive energy, just wary.

As the coin Akmenos flips in the air whirs around, you’re rewarded with the puzzled glances of the lot of them. The glances then turn from puzzled to a mixture of concern and true shock as your companions wink out of existence with a sharp thumping noise, almost as if someone had hit a desk with a heavy book.

As each of you is teleported, you’re treated to a dazzling light that fills your whole field of view, almost as if you’re looking into a bullseye lantern directly on, this lasts about 5 seconds before you’re dropped into a hallway of an ancient manse, sparsely lit.

Other than the sound of each of you getting your bearings and glancing about, the manor is quite quiet. You can faintly hear the sound of footsteps coming through a door a few feet away from you.

As you’re standing there glancing around the faint smell of musty disorder slowly creeps into your awareness, it’s immediately apparent that this section of the manor hasn’t seen much use in the recent month or so.

Directly in front of you are a pair of ornate dark wooden doors, each housing a pearl door handle and a keyhole.

Just to the right of those doors on the floor is a portrait of an older man in aristocratic clothes, looking as if it was thrown there or discarded by a servant in a hurry. Above it on the wall is a portrait of a younger man, his face exuding condescension and snootiness. If you had to match a face to the voice you heard coming out of the mug, this would fit it to a T. The nameplate below the mounted painting reads “Tristan Harpell”, and the one on the floor says “Siegfried Harpell”.

Tristans portrait, after taking a moment to enjoy your confusion, begins speaking to you “Ah, welcome to Ivy Mansion, ancient home of the Harpell dynasty! Ignore my uncle down there, one of the servants was supposed to hang him in the ballroom.”

“If my enchantments worked correctly one of you should now have a pair of keys in your pocket. The brass one opens the double doors to the northeast wing in front of you. The silver one is for the vault to the underground levels. I hear there’s some nasty stuff down there, so please lock it if you get the chance.”

“Clatter - that’s the name of the caretaker I’ve just sent inside - has a map of the whole floor he can give you. I’ve instructed him to make himself useful to you.”

“I need you to go to each room and clear out anything irritating, do that and you’ll receive your proper recompense.”

“Now if you’ll excuse me there’s a plump little maid at the Gilded Horseshoe who I promised to share some Ivy Port with. Best of luck to both parties, eh?”

And with that the portrait stops speaking, though the portrait has markedly more prominent smirk on it than before.