1. - Top - End - #49
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Making other ability scores matter for fighters

Quote Originally Posted by Vogie View Post
    One way to back into this without requiring it is use a mod-level gating system

Perhaps one can't use Commanding Strike or Feinting attack without an Int mod of +1 or more. Things like Precision Strike or evasive footwork require an Int mod of +2 or more

Et cetera.
    Absolutely not. That transforms these tertiary stat changes from nice little extras into taxes. That's a non-starter.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatoneGuy84 View Post
    My main thought.
    If your you're going to buff Fighter based on a mental stat.
    What buff does my wizard get based on his Str?
    If you attach it to Int. Cool ima still dump int and get a headband on intellect anyways.
    What does my druid get for buffing charisma?

It's not like BM is broken and needs fixing.
    It's not like they dont get dice back on SR ext.
    The OP echoes the common refrain that high level martials ultimately lag way, way behind high level spellcasters. When you compare a wizard's or druid's ability to Shapechange or to travel from one side of the world to the other in an instant, to the fighter's or barbarian's ability to... uh... swing a weapon a bit more often or a bit harder, a tiny boost to martials really doesn't seem all that uncalled for.

That said, even full casters could benefit from my suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by HPisBS View Post
    Here's some subclass - and even class - agnostic options:

- Int mod times / long rest, you may crit on a weapon attack with a roll of 19 on the die. (Champions may similarly expand their crit range like this, but only ½ Int mod times / long rest.)

Thematically, this would represent using your understanding of armor, anatomy, and/or martial styles to get a decisive hit in. Mechanically, it's Int instead of Wis just because Wis (Perception) is already so much more helpful as a tertiary stat.

- Cha mod times / long rest, you may use your reaction when an enemy makes a melee attack against you to attempt to intimidate it, causing it to flinch rather than properly follow through on its attack. Make a contested Cha (Intimidation) vs Wis (Insight) check. If you succeed, the enemy has disadvantage on that attack roll.
    Last edited by HPisBS; 2020-06-02 at 01:34 PM.