Originally Posted by Kurald Galain
But in most campaigns you're just not going to be stuck underground for a day or more….
Every campaign I’ve ever played in has featured long stretches deep underground. I’m sure there are plenty out there that haven’t, but whether that qualifies as “most” is an open question.

Originally Posted by Psyren
The sunlight thing ceases to be much of a drawback when your group gets access to lesser restoration, which has no material component.
In practice, I agree it’s probably not a huge deal past the lowest levels. But in principle it still rubs me the wrong way a little.

I just feel like the party shouldn’t have to routinely compensate for a drawback of one individual. Dwarves are often played as rough and cranky with bad Scottish accents, but no one expects the party cleric to keep casting Eagle’s Splendor on them every day.

I’m sure there are a zillion corner cases which give counterexamples, just a mild annoyance of mine.

Originally Posted by Psyren
I think a fungal variant that replaces the light dependency and loses the seed ability for something else would have been interesting though.
So much this.