View Single Post

Thread: I'm Making My Own Solo D&D 3.5 Campaign

1. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: I'm Making My Own Solo D&D 3.5 Campaign

It's absolutely simple- it's just that you'll have to repeat this process a lot. This is one major city- how many more are there in the whole country? How many countries are there?

Some tools that can help when inspiration starts to slow down:
    -Look at the relationship between a location and its neighbors; maybe they're becoming more friendly, or less friendly.
    -Consider the location's major industries; an opportunity opening up, or another one closing.
    -Consider the locations's demographics; racial, religious, financial, political, or otherwise. Interactions can happen between two of the same type (ex. two races in conflict), or between two different types (nobles cooperating with a particular church).
    -It's okay to repeat news from one location to another; the nature of the news shifts from "dealing with news X" in location A to "dealing with location A" in location B.

Note that the amount of detail you'll be putting into different locations varies depending on how much time the players will spend there. You currently have the minimum detail for Herlon, but you'll need to zoom in and look in more detail if you expect the players to spend a significant amount of time there. If the pieces of news are going to be a significant aspect of the game, they'll need more information than things the players hear about tangentially to their adventure, etc.
    Last edited by aimlessPolymath; 2020-06-02 at 02:04 PM.
    My one piece of homebrew: The Shaman. A Druid replacement with more powerlevel control.
    The bargain bin- malfunctioning, missing, and broken magic items.
    Spirit Barbarian: The Barbarian, with heavy elements from the Shaman. Complete up to level 17.
    The Priest: A cleric reword which ran out of steam. Still a fun prestige class suitable for E6.
    The Coward: Not every hero can fight.