View Single Post

Thread: Fixing True Strike

1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Fixing True Strike

Quote Originally Posted by Yuroch Kern View Post
    Well, careful about casting it in a vacuum. Eventually, we all risk a slotted spell, face a high AC DPSer, SOMETHING, and you might be needing that one(1) Arrow of Slaying to hit the dragon. It may delay, but it grants Advantage out of the blue, often times in scenarios where you can't really have it.
    Arrows of Slaying are precisely the kind of reason I'd like the spell to be relevant. This iconic moment when you NEED to make that shot...

Thing is, this kind of situation shows up, what, twice a campaign ? It doesn't make TS worthwhile, RAW. I personally would be fine if my players used it to critical hit the dragon (in fact, since the spell is only 30 feet, it would make for an awesome and tense moment where they approach it, have to maintain concentration/bluff it then attack...)

The Help action/Hide action are other ways to get advantage which don't cost a precious cantrip. Hell, Find Familiar can do everything RAW True Strike can, (and so much more in terms of recon etc) without costing concentration, actions nor a spell slot once it's been cast.
    Last edited by Osuniev; 2020-06-03 at 04:17 PM.