Quote Originally Posted by Rakoa View Post
Let me be a bit more clear. The Bronze Dragon is around 50, categorized by Young in the 5e ruleset, and I am interested in pursuing this line of story insofar as the lore will allow, realistically.

There are no shenanigans involved.

The Bronze Dragon has just finished exploring the world after separating from his parents and has entreated the help of the PCs to clear out a canal of evil creatures so that he can start up his lair there. From there, further quests will be to venture out as emissaries to potential allies and persuade them to come live in the canal (sea elves and tritons and such), to help him build his hoard, and I had later intended on a quest where they could help him find a mate as well. But that could be subject to change.

Thank you everyone for you input so far! It is appreciated!
You have something of a good idea so far. To the romancing part, though the Dragon is young I am assuming you are meaning to translate that to be roughly late teens or early twenties by human standards. I would suggest have the dragon see the pc as a potential love fling and nothing more. Just because the Monster Manual says they mate for life doesn't translate that they won't date around. After all, further reading of their entry specifies they are quite sociable creatures going out of their way to be social with the lesser creatures. Role play wise I would have the dragon journey with the party as more of an important npc who makes and arranges the connections to accomplish what your wanting to do while keeping the fact they are a dragon a secret. Once they got what they want, make it the big reveal in some climatic way whether in an action movie sense or comedic. There are many ways to approach that.

In the aftermath, the dragon could serve as a potential ally of some sort. If your players are only interested in loot, have the dragon become a merchant essentially who is willing to part with minor items of its horde in exchange for information or other favors that helps it out in the bigger picture.

In either case, I would keep the romance as light as possible. One can easily get into the gutter with this situation. In short, think romance comedy.