Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
On T H E I N D E X
ironically the bullets and mushroom blood are the only things make sure you can tell where you are. the damage is the only thing making sure you have a landmark

I think the survival segment with its music like tells me that that The Index is supposed to be a bit of a survival horror thing to show you how troublesome it is to fight The Flood because they just keep on coming and don't stop, so it makes why would want to use the Halo to kill them because how....Flood-like they are, you can keep killing them all day and get nowhere.
its just that horror doesn't age well. it never does. so whats a good representation of how terrifying foe is yesterday, becomes a tiresome pointless segment today. Halo was good.....when it was new. but now we look back on it and it has withstood the test of time. its the seinfield of shooters.

I'm looking halo speedrunning to answer the question of how they try to get through this level aaaand...apparently they do something "flood bumping" or something, and "grenade jumps" and that the fastest time I can find on legendary is 10:15. .....I'm looking at the other parts? and its one of the longest times even on the speedruns. so whatever speed wizardry they do, only works so far. the only level that matches it in time is "Halo", the second level. the fastest speedrun of the entire halo: combat evolved game is 1:08:16, little over an hour. so even on a speedrun thats one sixth of their time.

how could M do that Zodi? by being a sadist who wants a laugh. it'd be a good meme. "Oh the Library has good things about it? here let me ruin that for you." it'd appeal to the crowd who play videogames to watch stupid but fun stuff happen because of jank.
I disagree. Halo is a game I didn't play in full (no XBOX of my own at the time) but even I heard how bad the Library was; or more specifically how much the flood sucked to fight (they apparently do not get "fun" until Halo 3)

The issue with having the flood as this unstoppable horde that "you can't stand and fight because they just keep coming"... is that the level keeps having you stop to do *exactly that* and you need to succesfully do so in order to progress. If you want the Flood to be an unstoppable horde that you can't fight, then the Library should've been a running section. Hurry to get to the next door (which would have doors on both ends, a la an airlock; there is at least one area like that as I recall) before the horde overwhelms you. Take a moment to rest and recover, maybe find some ammo... then the next area, and so on. At least once, some of the flood would break into the room and you'd have to fight them.

how I'd make it worse:
make it so you have to solve meaningless puzzles that have nothing to do with anything at random doors. it isn't even consistent.

put in a labyrinth segment

make the tide of small facehuggers never stop coming. just an endless stream of them. forever.

add in ice physics.

add in books. but they're all about ancient Forerunner smut.

make all the flood thomas the tank engine

replace Guilty Spark with GladOS.
That last one would actually be great.

"Failure to eliminate all Flood signatures will result in a poor mark on your performance evaluation.

Followed by death."

"It's not just any parasite. It is the deadliest, most unkillable and unstoppable parasite that ever existed. And you just let it loose across the only thing that could stop it.

*clap*
*clap*
*clap*

Good, my slow clap processor's still working. Now let's get to the Library so you can get to fixing this mess. Or die horribly. Either way I'm entertained."