View Single Post

Thread: Modernizing the Wheel of Time

1. - Top - End - #186
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Modernizing the Wheel of Time

Liandrin's compulsion is a pale imitation of the real thing - Moghedien makes that clear when they cross paths.
    Of all the Black Ajah I think the one closest to the real thing was (seriously major spoiler, moved to bottom of post)

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    One day he finds the power has changed and how he taps it has changed, now he channels saidar.
    I'd view switching as requiring more conscious effort than that, at least initially; as with other examples of channeling we've seen, unlearning one way to learn another for an established channeler is very difficult if not impossible. It might even be that none of the existing characters (who are all presented as cis anyway) need to go through this, but it's more a brave new world for the next generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Though I feel it raises the question if such a work should be adapted at all? If you consider a work objectionable because of one of its underlying concepts, is it a story you really want to tell? If you have to do major contortions to make a story acceptable, is there a point to adapting it in the first place?
    I think the answer should be no. But of course the real answer is money.
    It's almost certainly getting adapted - Amazon was working on it right as the pandemic hit - so the only question now is what, if any, changes they decide to make.

To be clear, even if they don't change anything I'd watch it - but I do see a golden opportunity here. I'd hope they at least de-emphasize or outright remove some of the more unnecessary differences between saidin and saidar, if nothing else.

Spoiler: major spoiler from above
    Show
    Verin
    Last edited by Psyren; 2020-06-04 at 06:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)