But I much rather preferred her than the insertion of Legolas which served no purpose than upstaging what should have been the main cast of the story.
Oh god yes so much. I disliked him in the first movies. I hated him with flamming passion in the Hobbit.
Just thinking about him makes me want to rant about how he is an upstaging machine that should not have been allowed near the film.
As well as about how the director deserves a kick in the groin for doing so anyway..

Just imagine Tauriel had killed the dragon.
What a fan outrage that would have caused!!!!!
All the fans of that bowma (damn, don't even remember the man) would have cried that these stupid authors stole the heroism from their favourite pet character! And all because of social justice warrior crap, OMG!
Of course it would have caused outrage. Justified outrage. It would be a massive change to the story for no reason.
I dont mind the story of elf lady archer shooting a dragon. But thats not how it goes in the hobbit. If you want that story write it yourself.

So I really feel a little bad. I want to root for the guy, cause he seems to be on the side of the angels.
No. He is on the side of your angels. Clearly there are a lot of those, with wildly disagreeing oppininions.
Seeing as nearly everyone manages to be on the side of them.