Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Wizard View Post
R 1201

Hey folks.

I'd like help to accomodate my players with 2 different options to acquire the Dark Companion alternate class feature from 3.5's Hexblade class.

1. Via a feat
2. Via a Warlock Invocation

Since I know it is considered not good to grant a class feature as a feat (or invocation), I'm not sure where to start with gauging it's relative power valuation.

One thing I thought was interested upon further observation of the Dark Companion ... was that is certainly has its drawbacks:

- Dispellable
- Could take more than 1 or 2 rounds to "reach" an enemy
- Costs 100gp

Thanks for any help in homebrewing this request! Cheers!
On the topic of being almost a year late...

C 1201

Given that Obtain Familiar is a feat, I think this could be considered accessible with a feat. Admittedly, Dark Companion is more useful than a familiar, so this feat would be stronger. There's also the level 4 minimum for the feature. I think I would feel safest if this version of Dark Companion had some kind of nerf, like needing an action to command the companion.

A Warlock invocation would just be the feat problem, but worse. I'm also not familiar with Warlock invocations that have long-term durations or permanent costs (and I'd prefer to keep one-off homebrew invocations within those bounds as well). I could see a dark companion invocation coming with a large downside (something that makes you more fragile?) but gives you the same flexible dark companion as a real hexblade.

I will mull this over and try to post something.