1. - Top - End - #1408
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Whoracle View Post
    Anyone got newbiefriendly pointers on making Dark Angels robes out of green stuff?
    Roll out a square sheet of green stuff. Cut out a very long, thin triangle; the pointed end goes under his armpit and down to his knee. Do that on his left and right side, then wrap a rectangle around his back to join the three parts together, and don't forget to leave a gap to affix his backpack.

I too have finally - FINALLY - done a little painting like I kept promising myself I would while in lockdown. In fact, I made a project of it since a group of like-minded friends agreed to do a competition in order to inspire each other. The rules are: Paint 1 Space Marine, and win bragging rights. Works for me.

I decided to paint Sevrin Loth. If you're not familiar with that character, this is him:

Spoiler
    Show

(Imgur hard-link: Sevrin Loth)

He's the Master Librarian of the Red Scorpions, and once upon a time he was arguably the best psyker in the game. Unfortunately I do not HAVE Sevrin Loth because he is only available from Forgeworld and with his Command Squad - $60 of resin for one model? No, thanks.

So I decided to build my own.

Spoiler
    Show

(Imgur hard-link: Grey plastic)

Obviously a couple of differences. I don't play Red Scorpions and I'm not inclined to repaint 3000pts of Black Templars to start now. Instead, I tweaked the design to make him a Grey Knight Justicar/Librarian, so that he might get used in my Kill Team squad.
    The bits are mostly Vanguard Veteran, with GK legs, an old metal GK Justicar arm, a Horus Heresy-era helmet and a Grey Knight Paladin standard/book-thing. The hardest part to source was the left hand, which eventually got stolen from one of my Thousand Sons Sorcerers. The storm boltor is slightly off-centre, but you can only really tell when looking at the model from beneath, so who cares?

Spoiler
    Show

(Imgur hard-link: Silver plastic)

Added the shield because I like the shields, and it looks closer to Loth's reinforced breastplate. I love painting Grey Knights, the basecoat is so simple and yet so immediately recognisable.

Spoiler
    Show

(Imgur hard-link: Base coat)

Really not sure about the gold. I'm pretty sure that the paint I'm using has gotten old - it is both too thin and too thick in different areas and I don't think I have shaken/mixed it properly, so it's a lot more yellow than the Burnished Gold that was promised on the bottle. Might settle down a bit after a wash or two, however right now I want to scrub it clean and start over with new paint.

Spoiler
    Show

(Imgur hard-link: 95% done)

Bit of advice for aspiring painters; see it through to the end before you make a decision on whether or not it's working - it takes just as long to strip a half-painted model as it does a finished one, so you might as well make all your mistakes at once and learn from them sooner rather than later.

You can see what I mean about the gold - it looks much better after a coat of two of Liquid Talent, but the pauldron is blotchy and textured where it should be smooth. It might be that I've used too much gold and should change some of the details back to silver, because right now it looks a bit more Iron Fists than Grey Knights, but I'm really happy with the pose and details. Just need to tidy up a few edges, a tiny buit of highlighting, drill out the barrels and finish the base, and I think we're done.

I really liked this project - taking an old Space Marine Character and rebuilding him into a 'clone' for the Grey Knights. I think I'm going to do some more - Azrael as a Justicar (to give him that sexy pointed faceplate) and maybe Gabriel Angelos as a Paladin (so that he doesn't suck...) would be fun. I don't think I'll win the competition, but I've *finally* made a tiny dent in my backlog at least!
    Last edited by Wraith; 2020-06-06 at 02:27 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation