Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
Another binary

These are not the only two positions. Audiences being upset or not upset is certainly a major factor - but how major depends on the person doing the adapting. They may want critical as well as commercial acclaim, and adapt with that goal in mind - thinking not just of audience reactions but those of reviewers and awards organizations. They may have a personal stake. The owners of RJ's estate, like his widow, may have changed their own minds about what they want to see on screen.
It seems like you are hoping that someone connected with the show happens to have the same particular problem with the books as you have, which strikes me as improbable*, although not impossible. But then you need for those persons to care enough to override other considerations (not alienating existing WoT fans by changing the story) and to have enough influence to overrule others (which is doubtful for several of the persons you listed).

* I think it's improbable because I think that some people believe that gender is not binary, some people believe that there are only two genders, and a much larger number of people do not think much about it at all either way. So you'd need a person to be in that first group, then make the leap to the idea that is contrary to a non gender binary perspective (which requires them to follow your thought process that magic is not tied to a person's physical sex (in the way reproduction is), but instead to some other intangible aspect of them).

1) Well, the "don't touch them" ship has sailed. Amazon is adapting them as we speak.
I agree. You need to adapt a book for it to be on TV. And I think most audiences will accept that. But obviously there are degrees of adaption. You can go low risk and adapt only so much as is needed to make it a TV show, or go higher risk to change the story or the way the magic system works.