Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
Given that we no longer live in 1990, I'd say it's more likely than you think. Especially when you look at other modern fantasy shows and their growing non-binary representation - like She-Ra, Steven Universe, Dragon Prince, Doom Patrol and others.
How many of those were retellings of existing stories? I mean there are examples of programmes on TV aimed at any number of niche markets. It doesn't suggest that an existing story would be rewritten to focus on that niche.

It's not the nineties, but the question is not whether most people are tolerant of trans people, or others who are non binary. The question is whether enough people are so invested in the issue that they would see the issues you do (which requires a few leaps of logic), and be motivated to take the risk of changing it, and have the power to persuade others to do so.

Are we on the same page that a person would have to be really invested in the issue, see the WoT as problematic in the same way you do, be willing to that ahead of the commercial success of the series, and be in a position to influence it? If so, how likely do you think that is.

I'm not as sure as you are that adapting RJ's 1990 vision with no updates at all is truly the "low-risk" option of the ones you present.
I very clearly did not say no updates. Obviously some updates are necessary to adapt to TV.

What are the risks you see of not making the sorts of changes that you are thinking of? Are you thinking of existing fans of the series choosing not to watch, or new fans not being attracted? Do you think people will find the existing story so controversial that they will refuse to tune in? Do you think the success or failures of other TV shows points to this?