View Single Post

Thread: Modernizing the Wheel of Time

1. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: Modernizing the Wheel of Time

Quote Originally Posted by Vahnavoi View Post
    To my understanding, people took offense to Rowling sympathizing with what they perceived as trans-exclusive feminism. They then went mining the books for more things to take offense to, years after the fact. There was no notable controversy about this back when the books were published, or even when the movies were published.

To take a simila case that I know better: people have recently taken offense to and loudly denounced H.P. Lovecraft's works due to the man's racism. This, despite the fact that the man is long gone, his works are (IIRC) in public domain, his most famous novellas barely include or even reflect his views, and most of his fans like his works for unrelated reasons and neither share nor replicate his views in their derivarive works.
    Thanks!

So the crux of it arises from things Rowling has said publicly, rather than from anything she has published? If so, I'm not sure how it is relevant to anything in this thread.

Although it is off-topic, I often wonder how much effect these sorts of controversies actually have. Sometimes it seems that a lot of noise is made by a small number of people with a disproportionate voice, but it doesn't reflect general sentiment.
    Last edited by Liquor Box; 2020-06-07 at 06:59 AM.