View Single Post

Thread: Modernizing the Wheel of Time

1. - Top - End - #283
    Banned

DruidGirl

Default Re: Modernizing the Wheel of Time

Quote Originally Posted by Vahnavoi View Post
    To my understanding, people took offense to Rowling sympathizing with what they perceived as trans-exclusive feminism. They then went mining the books for more things to take offense to, years after the fact. There was no notable controversy about this back when the books were published, or even when the movies were published.

There wasn't, because Rowling's opinions were considered perfectly normal and uncontroversial at the time.

I would say it is pretty clear from her books that she believes women and girls exist (they do in the books!) and have a right to privacy and dignity.

It is not so much people going back and mining the books for things to take offense to, it is that they probably would have taken offense the first time round if they had paid attention.

A bit like in The Hunger Games, there was a cute little girl character who was described in the book as being black, but then the movie came out and she was actually played by a black actress, and then there were complaints.

Some people just don't pay attention when reading and fill the gaps with imagination.

The Wheel of Time would probably not have that exact problem, since the "there's differences between the sexes and they actually matter" vibe seems to be extremely obvious, but I could see it not getting as successful as GoT, considering that many, many of the people who are total fans of GoT never even read the ASOIAF series.

@Liquor Box: The thing with very vocal minorities is that if no one contradicts them, it looks like they are majorities. For the average person who just reads the news, it is hard to determine the difference.
    That's why it would (will?) be so interesting to see how successful the Wheel of Time adaptation is. Money doesn't lie.
    Last edited by Themrys; 2020-06-07 at 08:30 AM.