1. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fyraltari watches The Clone Wars (2008) for the first time

Right, so turns out the last episode wasn't a stand alone but the first of a three-parter. I figured I could use TvTropes' recap page to find the epiosdes' titles and know which are which but the titles are spoilery (like seriously: Dooku captured? That's Attack of the cybermen-level spoilage).
    However, the episodes are only loosely connected, so screw it. I'm doing these episode from episode.

Season 1, Episode 9: Cloak of Darkness

Spoiler: Recap
    Show
    We open with Ahsoka and Master Luminara Unduli (unusual team-up, is this like a Jedi student exchange with Anakin doing a mission with whoever is Unduli's padawan?) bringing Gunray to a Republic cruiser headed to Coruscant where he will be tried for war crimes (pot, kettle, you know the rest). Gunray is trying to bribe one of his guards, commander Gree of the Green Company (convienient !) who is having none of it and handcuffs him (But isn't that the Separatists' world?). Aboard the cruiser is captain Argaius of the Senate Guard, an elite military unit made of non-clones and wearing blue armor that look like a mix between clone armour and real-life hoplite armor. And I just realized theses are the predecessors to Plapatine's Royal Guards. Neat. Ahsoka wonders why a worm like Gunray warrants such a display of force and Unduli points out the obvious: he has dangerous allies who won't allow him to reach Coruscant.

Indeed we cut to a Separatist warship where Dooku is having a video-conference with Sidious. Sidious worries that a coward like Gunray won't hold long when interrogated by Jedi and orders Dooku to free or kill him. Dooku states that his best warrior, Asajj Ventress is on it. Sidious isn't reassured as Ventress failed before (I mean you guy haven't fired Grievous yet so that seems on-brand). This prompts Dooku to tell Ventress (who is no longer/not yet on Kamino) that failure won't be tolerated this time. She is unfazed.

Back with the Jedi, they are working on Gunray who claims to be an innocent pawn (well he's half right). Unduli is reading his mind and sees that he is protecting "secret allies" and worried of losing his wealth. Ahsoka gets fed up with him and draws her saber to threaten him. Unduli is horrified and tell her that terror isn't the Jedi way. Ahsoka retorts that she wasn't actually going to kill him... That's not the issue, Ahsoka. It worked though as Gunray is now willing to negotiate.

Suddenly droids! A bunch of vulture droids are leading boardships to the cruisers. The clones mount a defense against a swarm of superbattle droids. Last time I said I wished the commando battle droids were the baseline separatist footmen but these guys are pretty good too sharing none of the quirks of the battle droids (though their aim isn't that much better). As the clones get slaughtered, Unduli takes Gree and with her to go fight the ennemy while Ahsoka is to guard Gunray. Gunray meanwhile retracts his offer prompting Ahsoka to tell him that the Separatists may be here to kill him.

Of course the attack is only a diversion as Ventress leaves a dropship and behead a lone clone survivor stealing his comm device. She then proceeds to a big important-looking room (the hyperdrive?) through one of those absurd cinema person-sized well lit air vent and plants bombs everywhere while evading detection of a nearby Republic droid. The dorid gets upset when two clones shorten his number to adress him which got a chuckle out of me. Is that why R2 is always pissed?

Unduli finishes dispatching the superbattledroids meaning Gunray is again willing to "negotiate" however Ventress jumps in the detention area and fighting ensue. Ahsoka and Ventress exchange barbs ending with Ahsoka promising her a "merciful death". Sweet space Jesus, Ahsoka what the hell ahs Anakin been teaching you! Ventress manages to kill a few clones and a couple Senate Guards. Gunray promises her an entire planet if she gets him out alive. She opens his cell and dodge Tano who was trying to kick her. Gunray locks her in and tauntes her. Luminara arrives and fight Ventress for a short while before using the Force to free the padawan. Ventress detonates her bombs and uses the ensuing chaos to flee leaving Gunray behind. Luminara again instructs Ahsoka to stay with Gunray and she pursues the assassin. Ahsoka is worried that even though Unduli is a Master she doesn't know what Ventress is capable of. Did this two meet before? I forget.

Ventress lead Unduli to the wrecked hyperdrive room and they fight, Ventres take sthe advantage by cutting a thing that blows some steam into Luminara's eye (cooling fluid? Or is this shi nuclear powered?). Ahsoka grows ever more restless. Gree thinks she should stay while Argaius says that sometimes being a good soldier means doing what you think is right. Gunray chimes in that hever risks his life unless he is forced to and is then puzzled by the looks he gets in response. She leaves. Ventress activates her comm device. Argaius's rings and he shoots down his own men and ends up in a firefight with Gree. Ahsoka saves Unduli at the last minute and the two of them fight her for a bit but then are warned by Gree of Argaius's treachery. Argaius uses Gunray as a human shield, guessing that Gree won't risk his prize. This seems to work but Gree shoots Argaius's gun out of his hand (oh what the hell man, if you're that precise shoot him in the face it's unpreotected!). Argaius literrally throws Gunray at Gree and kicks his gun out of his hand. The two circle each other as Gree asks Argaius why he is doing this. Argaius doesn't expect a clone to understand not wnating to live a life of servitude and that Dooku promised him afortune (which he no doubts intends to spend on hair gel for his ridiculous hairdo). The traitors try to reach for a gun on the floor but the clone steps on it and decks him in the face. As Gree gloats at Argaius Gunray knowks hims unconscious using a metal thing. This is why you do the one-liner after overpowering your opponent, Gree. "You should have accepted my offer when you had the chance, clone". See? Gunray gets it.

Luminara thnaks Ahsoka for saving her life. She answers that that's what the role of a Padawan is. Unduli retorts that the role of a Master is to teach and that "Master Skywalker must be proud". Oh, come on! They fight Ventress some more as she blocks them from going after Argaius and Gunray. These two reach the ship Gunray came aboard in and leg it out of there. The external ships are down because of the chaos so they can jsut do that. Ventress reaches a life pod and leave as well.
    Argaius autocongratulates and Gunray tell him that he always had a good feeling about him, jsut at that moment Ventress comes in. Argaius is glad "their" plan worked without a hitch and that he'll be sure to tell Dooku she contributed. She kills him, ostensibly to get all the credit for the success. We get to see his face twitching in agony. Brutal, me gusta. "I always had a good feeling about you, assassin" says the slimeball.

Ahsoka and Unduli report to Skywalker and Yoda. Anakin reassures his Padawan that he knows she did her best and Unduli points out that the ship Gunray his on as a tracking beacon and that it seems headed toward the position of Master Fisto's fleet. Yoda is worried by Argaius's betrayal as it seems they are surronded by ennemies.

Spoiler: My thoughts
    Show
    That was an excellent episode. Nice fights, good twists and the villains gor to be competent for once. It's interesting to see some anti-clone prejudice. Between that, the clone's objectivel ****ty life and the show's insistance on giving thel various personnalities, I wondered if we'll see one turn on the Republic.
    Gunray was much more tolerable here than last episode (or in the prequel) as he got to show that separated from his power base he can be surprisingly resourceful, twice turing the tide of battle by waiting for the right moment to strike as everybody forgot about him.

Ahsoka seems headed some place dark, which isn,'t how I remeber her from Rebels. Maybe her arc is inspired by Emperor Ashoka who used to be a bloody warlord but became a pacifist after a battle too many?

This is the kind of episode I am here for.

I have already watched the next one and will do a review in a bit but that is enough for one post, I think.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-06-27 at 12:40 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.