Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
I am only familiar with She Ra which is a new story in an existing setting. Which of the other three is retelling an existing story?
Doom Patrol was a 1963 comic book before it became a TV show.
And If you want another adaptation example - Umbrella Academy added genderfluidity and queerness that wasn't present in its source material either, without hurting its popularity.

We don't have any data about for or against or neutral (you forgot that one - it is probably the biggest) - although the people making the show probably do.
I didn't mention neutral because then it will likely just come down to what the showrunner feels like doing. Again, with the five examples (three being adaptations) I mentioned previously, somebody made the decision that audiences would either enjoy the portrayals or not care much. I think the same could happen here.

But, even without data we can make estimates based on our anecdotal observations. I think we can both agree on that basis that for more than half the population, the question of "How well does this story reflect the idea that gender is not binary?" would not be the first thing that comes to mind?
What "first" comes to mind for anyone isn't relevant to me, so long as it does.

But I had thought we were talking about a much more expensive live action adaption aimed at a mainstream audience? If so, I don't think it is at all comparable to lower cost products aimed at niche markets.
Pretty sure every property I listed was released on a major network, not a "niche market."

What is the JK Rowling controversy that people are talking about? I'm afraid I missed it.
As Glyphstone helpfully suggested, I'm leaving this well alone.