Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
Yeah, because everyone has to justify every preference they have all the time.

It gets tiring and sometimes you don't want to give your players an essay on why you don't like something each time it comes up.
I never said that.

You only have to justifyprioritizing your preferences over those of the people playing the game.

"It's overpowe..." "YEAH WELL LOOK AT ME IF I DELIBERATELY BREAK A WIZARD THEN ITS STRONKER HOW BOUT THAT HUH!"
"Yeah right but I'm not talking about power cieli..." "THEN YOU MUST BE TALKING ABOUT POWER FLOORS WHICH IS A STUPID WAY TO MEASURE CLASS POWER!"
"No, I'm not talking about the power floor, I'm talking about my experience with real players..." "BUT ACCORDING TO THE FORUM IT'S COMMON KNOWLEDGE THAT ALL WIZARDS ARE SUMMONING ARMIES OF [INSERT CREATURE THAT I GUARANTEE YOU MOST PEOPLE ON THE FORUM ACKNOWLEDGE AS BEING REALLY CHEESY HERE]"
Nice stawman.

No, it's a lot easier to say a blanket "No" without having to justify it every time. The only reason I'm allowing PoW at all is because dealing with balancing a borderline-immortal level 3 character against relatively ordinary characters is actually easier than getting into these sorts of arguments with every other player who wants to use the system.
It's only easier if you don't respect your players and they're spineless enough to put up with being treated like small children.

If you're not familiar with the system, say so. If you feel that Swordsages don't fit the theme of your setting and you've banned monks for the same reason, say so. If you have a reason, say so.

and if your players provides a reason for why you should allow it anyway, a good one, decent rhetoric, you let it in anyway.

A blanket no is at best childish and at worst disrespectful of your players.