Quote Originally Posted by BerzerkerUnit View Post
Thanks so much for your feedback. I really like the Madness Domain.
Spoiler: critiques and tweaks
Show
Damaging Distraction
As written there’s an extra step or two of math involved to figure out if your d4 caused a miss.

Given the limit on Distracting Whispers I’d go with the following (and will adjust as I lift this domain almost whole cloth for my next campaign, it’s really very good).

Psychic Feedback
When a creature affected by your Distracting Whispers feature damages you, they take an equal amount of Psychic damage.

This makes Distracting Whispers discourage wailing on you which means allies benefit from the -d4 And prevents the addition of a roll where there used to be none. You could where light armor and l stack punishing spells like hellish rebuke and Armor of Agathys, then inflate your HP with Aid so hitting you is just the worst idea. You start face tanking Giants and Bulletes and Hydras because they die after a full attack rotation.

Seriously, great work.

Thanks, allowing it in your game is one of the biggest compliments you can give.

I can see what you are saying about the complications for damaging distraction. Part of my goal with this ability is that it would be extremely swingy (representing the madness of the subclass and the PC in general). Having that 1d4 difference be what causes the damage to the attacker gives that amount of swing that I was seeking. I will think it through and see if I can simplify it some, but no promises.

Quote Originally Posted by theVoidWatches View Post
Threw out my hero subclass - I ended up doing it for the Fighter. It's a different interpretation of "beyond" than what other people went with, but I couldn't get my mind off of it.

Speaking of what other people went with, feedback!

I like the proficiencies/alt damage feature, very flavorful.
Do clerics get many psychic damage spells? I'm not thinking of many off the top of my head, but I'm not super familiar with them.
This subclass relies on being in melee to use some of its features (Distracting Whispers/Dampening Distraction, Inflict Madness) but gets Potent Spellcasting. It should maybe get the other feature, so it can fight in melee more effectively.
There aren't a lot of psychic damage spells out there, which is why I gave access via domain spells (which were screwed up before and fixed now). However, that is also why I added in psychic damage to sacred flame and made channel divinity work on psychic damage from abilities (level 6 ability). You do have access to these spells that do psychic damage.
Dissonant Whispers
Phantasmal Force
Phantasmal Killer
Synaptic Syntax

That's interesting about the level 8 feature. I went with casting because it allows your to do more psychic damage as a class, but you have a solid point about being a melee as a subclass. I guess I just expect that melee damage subclass features would get either martial weapons, heavy armor, or both at level 1 (which didn't seem fitting to me). Do you think that this class should get access to martial weapons at level 1 as well then?