1. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VII: Wait, This Isnt the MitD Thread?

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Grey_Wolf: one commenter in this thread just gave 4 times the real volume for the cylinder, another commenter offered a cone that's two inches wide on its wider side as a shape that's no wider than one inch. Most people couldn't do the calculations that you mention anyway. I'm not saying that Americans are stupid or that their educations are bad, most Europeans who grew up here with the metric system also can't do those calculations, and will commit stupid mistakes.
    Let's say those are universal mistakes (I disagree, but I'll grant you the point because I don't care). My point was that if you use metric, you realise that you made a mistake so much easier because the numbers convert and scale up so well. And therefore it is one less point where errors can occur. A metric user might still forget to divide the diameter by two when calculating the area of a circle, but they are not going to, say, transpose the digits of the conversion factor between cm3 and litres because there aren't any digits to transpose. The one mistake that can be made due to the unit of measurement in metric is the number of 0s, and the error size when that happens is literally in the orders of magnitude scale, and thus trivially noticeable.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-06-19 at 11:06 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est