Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
Spoiler: the show in general
Show
Late season 1 is clearly better than early season 1 but it still feels very disjointed. I generally enjoy anchronistic order story telling but it doesn't really work here. See, in Kill Bill for examples it's always obvious where each scene falls on the timeline but here it is not and that just makes it feel like the story is happening in a timeless status quo. By the way, the Clone War is supposed to have lasted only two and a half years so it's a wonder they manage to jam all of that in it. I hope the show becomes less "villain of week"-y and develop larger stories. There are hints of the Republic's slow turn into the Empire and Anakin's fall, these should really become more prominent.

The episodes are mostly focused on action which wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't completely impossible for 4/5 of the charcaters to actually die in this. Speaking of dying I appreciate their effort to give clones some sliver of personality before killing them off. There's a real inconstistency about how dangerous given situations are too. Sometimes a Jedi can take down twenty droids while making jokes, and sometimes two Jedi and three clones flee when confronted by twelve droids.

I feel like the Force has been seriously underutilized this season. It's Star Wars most unique concept and at the very core of its identity. While Star wars stories don't necesserarily have to focus on the Force, the fact that this is leading to the fall of the Jedi Order means this show really should. I want to hear the Jedi talk about their relationship with th eForce and the dark Side, I want to know how the war affects their view of it and of their morals. I mean one of the main characters is supposed to be learning how to Jedi and she hasn't asked a single Force-realted question this entire season! It's not psychic powers, it's your mystical religion, don't treat it like a tool!

I did enjoy the effort of framing the war into the larger galactic picture. How it affects the people who aren't dashing heroes and vile villains. And underlying that war is bad, yo. More of that please.
The show is a bit too black-and-white for my liking too. There's a sentence in the opening of Revenge of the Sith, the second sentence in the crawl, even) that I feel was a wasted avenue in the prequels. "There are heroes on both sides". So far, every Separatist has been a cackling villain and every Republican a selfless hero. With the exception of Slicks and Argaius who both seem to have some amout of genuine appreciation for their former allies (Slicks more than Argaius, obviously). The separatists, when you think about it, despite being a fake threat led by corrupt oligarchs and space-satanists, are supposed to be fighting for an Outer Rim ignored and exploited by the human-dominated Central Government. Much like the Rebel Alliance, the heroiest heroes this franchise has to offer. There should even be some overlap between the two factions. Disney toyed with the idea in Rebels and with the character of Cassian Andor (who was fighting the Empire since he was six) but never fully acknowledged it so I hope this show at least hints towards it. Inversely, It'd be good to have a Republican characters commit some atrocities, out of anti-non-human prejudice if possible. I mean I know Tarkin shows up, so there's good hopes for that.

Spoiler: Our protagonists
Show
So the main trio is Ashoka, Anakin and Obi-Wan even if some episodes don't have them (or barely) in it (which is a good thing by th eway, let's give some love to some minor characters). But the mainest character is Anakin. He is Obi-Wan's former apprentice, Ahsoka's master, Padmé's husband and the theoretical main charcater of the prequels. His dynamic with Obi-Wan was alright I guess with the exception of the one episode they seem friendly though we're still a bit far from "You were my brother!" His relationship with Ahsoka is good but is mostly potential for now. By all mean he should be a pretty terrible teacher of the Jedi ways. They leaned on that in Jasdoif's favourite episode so far, with his bit "of hypocrisy regarding obeying orders. I hope they do more of that. His relationship with Padmé is better than in the Prequels. The opposite would be shocking. But there isn't much to go on yet. they need to emphasize the strain that secrecy is on them (and the war obviously).

There's not much to say about Obi-Wan, of our three protagonist he's the one not allowed any character development since he is identical in RotS and AotC. He seems even snarkier than I remember though. Still there's some untapped potential here. What's his relationship with Ahsoka? How aware is he of Anakin's marriage? Of his descent into darkness? He can do more than just be Mr. Perfect Jedi.

Let's talk Ahsoka. I like her much more than I did back when I thought she epitomized everything wrong with the pilot movie. But then again, I like to think 24-year old Fyraltari is somewhat more mature and postive a person than 13-year-old Fyraltari. Somewhat. As the OC she has much more freedom to evolve than any of her counterparts. I mean, they could have her fall to the dark Side! They could have her die! They didn't, but they could. And besides, **** has to go down for her not to be in RoS. The obvious direction for her to go is to start questionning the Jedi teaching seeing as she is Anakin's Padawan and, well, leading a war is about as far as "A Jedi only uses the Force in defense. Never to attack" as one can be. I'm optimistic about her. I like that they made her be buddy buddy with Plo Koon. I hope we see more of that.

Padmé is there I guess? Like Obi she can't change because her AotC personnality is still there by RotS. Besides her relationship for Anakin, I find her most natural role is in th political Arena, she needs to be the one charcater (plus y'know Organa and Mothma) who notices what the republic is turnign into and tries to stop it. I mean, it is in character for her to try to make peace with the Separatists but it's not gonna happen. Oh and what does she think of Anakin's relationship with Palpatine? There's material there.

The Clones: giving them unique personnalities is a great idea. I want to see more of Rex and Cody. What are there plans for when the war is over? Do they even think that far in the future? And of course, their conflicting loyalties between the government of the Republic, the people of th eRepublic and the Jedi. More of that, pretty please. And of course the whole slave-army bred to die thing.

Yoda. Was barely there except for that godawful first episode. Please give him something to do. But not on the front lines. As the Jedi Grandmaster he should be co-ordinating the war effort on the galactic scale and investigating Sith Plots.

Windu. Prequel Windu was a waste of a perfectly functionning Sam Jackson. He had one cool fight scene and that was basically it. His episode there was a lot of that too. They should play up his distrust of Skywalker. Make him the one guy Anakin clashes with the most. That way Yoda gets to be all wise and stuff and Obi-Wan all friendly. Besides Windu is the first Jedi Anakin kills so...

Yularen. Yularen being here is an interesting choice. His big moment so far was trusting in Ahsoka. But Yularen will become the Imperial spymaster and will one day sit at a table on the Death Star listening as he hears the Senate has been disolved (probably literally) and, you know, not be outraged years after his Jedi buddies have been declared traitors. since he doesn't seem to harbour any anti-non-human prejudice, so I guess he is a Befehl sind Befehl kind of guy. I hope we get to see how far that mindset goes with him carrying out some questionnable orders unquestionnably. And see how his buddy Ahsoka reacts to that.

Spoiler: Our villains
Show
Sidious didn't do much this season, did he? Obviously he can't go rounf leading battles and dueling Jedi to the death (he's got people for that) but it's time to showcase his manipulating skills. He's on a tight rope managing both the Separatists (who are led by his Sith Apprentice so he can't really trust them) and the Republic (where he's surrounded by filfthy Jedi), and, on top of that, he has to corrupt Anakin and subvert the values of the Republic. Show us how he turns Anakin against the Jedi, how he outmaneuvers Padmé and how he hides form Yoda.

Dooku. Because of his boss running two sides, Dooku is the most prominent villain and he was very underutilized in the Prequels so it's his time to shine. Being locke-up with Ani and Obi feels like it should have been more than what it ended up being, though. Why did he left the Order? What does he thinks of his Master? What did he think Sidious endgame was like (besides obviously not having his head chopped off). Why aren't his eyes yellow? The show manages to give him Sir Christopher Lee's air of dignity, which is really goog, but I'd like to see him more active. There's also a potential point of contention with Sidious in that he probably sees Ventress as a future Sith Lord when he's taken his Master's place (and he's not getting any younger) while Sidious plans for Anakin to take Dooku's place once he's done with him.

Grievous, much like Dooku he needs to have his character explored more (also he is in dire need of a win). Show him cunning, show him dangerous and tell us why he does what he does. His own episode had some hints but I'm hoping for more. What does he thinks of Dooku? Of Sidious? Does he even care what they want? Does he see Ventress as a threat to his position? Why doesn't his respirator fix his coughing fits?

Ventress is kinda evil Ahsoka, narratively speaking. As an OC she is free to evolve. And most likely die before RotS. Why does she want to be a Sith? What is her realtion to her Master? And to her Master's Master? Sidious seems to see her with contempt despite the fact that with a grand total of 1 win, she is the most competent Separatist so far. Maybe because of the whole Apprentice situation?

Nute Gunray: please no.

Watt Tambor: Either rework him or give him as little screen time as possible when you inevitably spring him out of custody. Wait. That should totally have been the finale! Picture last episode unchanged saved for Tambor in Ziro's role, Bane working for Dooku and anakin and him not knowing each other yet. That would have made the finale a four-parter and ending on the introduction of a new badass underling of Dooku. Also no Ziro which would have been a considerable plus. Which brings me to my next item.

Ziro: please no.

Cad Bane: There's postential. Have him work for Dooku and have plans tha tmake sense and they're golden.

In theory I'm all for Separatist one shot villains but basically every single one of them made melong for Grievous. This is not a compliment for Grievous's character. Pleas make some that are actually good next times. I'm still not over how wasted an opportunity Tambor was. He had two defining traits: Separatist leader and tech guy. Why did they make him Gunray 2?
Nearly everything you said you want to see does happen later.