Quote Originally Posted by BlacKnight View Post
I've recovered the Companion and those maneuvers work differently there.
Is there a summary that lists all maneuvers across core + companion + flower of battle?
Otherwise I would have to make one by myself, or use BotIT to have everything on one book (hoping it doesn't have 2 or 3 expansions too!)
There is a list of maneuvers (with ACs and minimal proficiency, per proficiency), done by a third party. Check trosfans.com, somewhere down in Downloads section. However, I am not aware of a summary - I've used the cards that were available on Driftwood Publishing page, updated them with FoB and Companion data, but that was long ago and I now only have them in paper form (with most of them already lost somewhere in space and time, I assume).

If I were you, I'd most probably use BoIT - it has everything in one book.

I've been trying to compile a complete ruleset for some time, but I've lost my work some time ago and then decided to start from a scratch with different RPG. But it takes a lot of time.

My issue with this is that it seems hard to get a "double death", while in reality, when fighting with thrust oriented swords, it was a common occurence.
This could be solved by increasing blood loss and reducing shock for puncture wounds.
There was a ruling somewhere (I do not remember the exact location, but will try to find it for you), that if the difference between rolls is 1 or 2, the attack still manages to hit.

On the other hand, if you fight carefully (i.e. try to save your skin) and defensively, it's not uncommon for both to receive few smaller wounds before someone strikes true... and then, if you fail to get medical attention...

If you wished to actually model reality a bit more closely, you could also define which wounds are internal and require surgery (or lead to death) and which can be simply closed with enough bandages and skill in First Aid.

Meaning: if you get a stab wound in your belly, the First Aid skill may only halve the bleeding, not completely close it, as opposed to a deep cut on arm.

Ahah, tha's a nice story.
My players tend to get lucky and beat opponents over their capabilities, who knows that maybe going low could change things?
You must let me know how it works for you. And I would suggest you first try the ruleset as it is, maybe for a one-shot. When I first wanted to play RoS, my group said "Why don't we stick to DnD and Shadowrun?"... well, we quickly generated few characters and I sent them to an abandoned house in the middle of winter storm (lockdown, so that I don't have to think of additional stuff), which served as hideout to few bandits... who were actually returning next day. And had numbers advantage.

They managed to put the puzzle pieces together, so when the bandits came, PCs were prepared and crushed them. And then ate horsemeat porridge. Do not ask.

Spoiler: Another story
Show
I've had a player who had the anti-Destiny of "Through my heroic death I am destined to repair the bad reputation of my people, the Savaxen!". Savaxen are local viking raiders. Whenever he did a heroic deed, he got a Destiny Point, but I ruled that once he reaches 5 points, something dramatic will happen. He agreed - after I promised I'll give him the chance to fight destiny. Also: you can keep your Destiny low by burning the points for advancement.

Which is funny, because he did the following:

After several dozens of games, the party finds out there is an army coming to take certain city - and people are turning on their ally, local prince. His character suddenly decides to stand up on a table in the middle of town square and shout "Maybe you die if you fight! And maybe you survive! But I promise you, if you stand with me, I, Ragnar, will fight for you and die with you!"

...cue me, smiling and handing him 4 points to total it to 5. He understood the notion, because he went pale immediately.

After several dozens of games, the heroes returned to the city - to defend it. He brought a small army of Savaxen warriors to fight on their side - berserkers, raiders, hunters... lead the charge, brought down a half-giant and then decided to go 1:1 with enemy leader.

At that point, he had 5 points in Destiny - I slowly added them and he did not notice until it was too late. And it started to burn.

He went to fight one of the best swordsmen - CP somewhere around 20 - with penalty of -5 per ROLL... so -10 per round.

And he landed the first blow.

And even the second.

He was on fire - and used every advantage he had.

He died heroically - and fulfilled his destiny. Woke up in afterlife and was given the chance to go back - but only if he accepts a new destiny.

"To walk in steps of his forefathers and to save those who will come to hate him."

Woke up. Penalty - gone. One of his eyes - gone. Proceeded to utterly destroy the leader of opposing army.

Good times.

I'm not sure I understand what the difference is between these.
A passion is linked to a certain person. Ok, easy enough.
An oath is, well, an oath.
So drives are... a residual category for things that don't fit in any other category?
A drive is defined as "a worthy cause that they would die for and (probably) kill for because they believe it to be extremely important".
How is that different from any other spiritual attribute?
Passion: Love. Hatred. Loyalty. Friendship. Your bond to a person. Or group (e.g. hatred for slavers).
Oath: A promise you have to fulfill.
Conscience: Morals and ethics. Choosing the right over the easy.
Drive: A goal. A cause. Something you wish to achieve.
Faith: Faith.

Destiny is a separate beast. That's the "end state".

The difference is, that by Passion you bind yourself to the world, while Drive states what you - the player - wish to achieve for the character. I think there were some minor differences between their uses (e.g. you use Passion when defending those you love/fighting those you hate while you use Conscience when you are doing the right thing as opposed the easy thing), but otherwise you are correct - Drive as such is mostly "character/player goal", which may be almost anything.

So you could have following SAs:
Passion: Love for Lady X
Passion: Hatred for Lady X's other suitor, Lord Y
Oath: I shall marry Lady X!
Drive: I want to destroy Lord Y!
Destiny: I am destined to marry Lady X and lead Lord Y to ruin!

...if your GM allows it. If you were to duel Lord Y to death, you could actually get somewhere up to +30 CP if you play your cards right...

The swords used by soldiers in AoT setting are heavy and meant to cut through titan skin at high speed, as they use the 3DMG, a special equipment with harpoons and wires linked to their body to go around swinging like Spider-Man.
A video is probably more explicative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfPrwJiZViQ
Notice that no one is wearing 3DMG at the moment.
I imagine the swords have a balance center quite far from the hilt, which make them not the best for dueling.
If we go for one handed weapons I think any cut oriented blade could do it, as long as the ATN is not too good. Schiavona, backsword or even saber are the best fit.
Soldiers in the setting don't wear armor, because well... anime logic. (to be fair they should wear not armor, but something akin motorcycle vests, to protect themselves from bad falls.)
If the balance is closer to the point, it makes it easier to swing, but worse to defend with (e.g. axes and other mass weapons). Then even Falchions could serve as a good model, although their ATN for cutting is pretty good.

Motorcycle vests could be AV 2 or AV 1. I'd check the table in Flower of Battle for combining armor stats and combine leather & padding.

Oscar knows being defensive won't do him any good in this situation.
He assumes aggressive stance, points his sword at the captain and makes a step forward.
I take Red dice for initiative.
White die.
You have initiative.
First round, first exchange. Your CP refreshes.
(normally you would have to check for wounds, fatigue, etc., but I assume we are both fresh and ready)
Please, state your maneuver & allocate CP.

Question: do you wish for me to do a complete breakdown of combat in spoilers? With your opponents' stats & etc.? Or do you wish to have the "blind" experience of actual fight?