View Single Post

Thread: I'm Making My Own Solo D&D 3.5 Campaign

1. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: I'm Making My Own Solo D&D 3.5 Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by ARTHAN View Post
    It is interesting advice and has many good points, but as a lawful being in general (and not a chaotic one) I would be against the above advice. The world HAS TO have structure for 2 main reasons:

- Chaotic details are minor and do not matter. For example, a coast has a chaotic shape but you are not going to draw it on a map with every detail; you will rather draw a line or a curve. A city is a mixed chaos of humans, orcs, elves etc. but you are not going to create the character sheet of each one of them (except if you are really want to do such an extraordinary and impossible thing that no one has ever done before) but you are going to flesh out the details of only the major characters of the region.

- The world needs balance and law serves that much better than chaos. Sure, there are powerful nations, there are weak nations, but their alliances (if hostile) are equally strong, that is why there is any signs of civilization in your world in the first place. The other way is to have permanent warfare that, in my opinion, would have had reduce the technology and civilization back to the stone age.

Because of these two reasons, I think a more lawful approach serves more than a chaotic one, but chaos is awesome when adding minor details.
    You can generate chaos with procedural scripts. (Generating a hundred character sheets? Just launch a script.)
    Also permanent warfare is a thing in real life: many countries are constantly at war with at least one other country directly or indirectly.
    You can have alliances but you can also always have wars.
    For war to not cause regression all that is needed is for one side to have a sufficient technological advantage to crush the other with nearly no possible resistance in fact historically it is how many technologies did spread and a common kind of war (because it is much more interesting to start a war you know you will win).
    Maybe you should ask the local cleric to cast detect alignment to see if you are lawful seeing how much you think that regularity and order are absolutes that must absolutely be in world-building?
    TL dr: Your vision of things is one vision among many and not The one.
    Last edited by noob; 2020-06-29 at 09:40 AM.